Human Settlement Department
The function of the Human Settlements Department comes from the Housing Act that provides that every municipality must take all reasonable and necessary steps within the framework of national and provincial housing legislation and policy to ensure that:
- The inhabitants have access to adequate housing on a progressive basis;
- Set housing delivery goals in respect of its area of jurisdiction;
- Identify and designate land for housing development;
- Create and maintain a public environment conducive to housing development;
- Promote the resolution of conflicts arising in the housing development process; and
- Promote and enable appropriate housing development in its area of jurisdiction.